Going off of a tooth whitening commercial, you would think the advertised toothpaste could transform any smile, no matter its current condition. But, clever marketing aside, our dentist and staff at Taylor General & Cosmetic Dentistry have often been asked whether whitening toothpaste actually works.
What Tooth Whitening Toothpastes Can Do
Whitening toothpaste cleans the teeth and helps remove bacteria-encouraging food particles. But the actual whitening properties are underwhelming.
At best, a tooth whitening toothpaste can remove surface stains on the teeth. These stains are usually left by coffee, tea, wine, and staining foods such as beets, wine, coffee, and blackberries. If the discoloration you want to whiten is below the surface of the tooth, then whitening toothpaste can do nothing to change the color.
Potential Problems With Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
Depending on what is in the whitening toothpaste, the act of using the whitening toothpaste can actually harm your teeth. Some ways they harm are:
- Abrasive particles are sometimes included in whitening formulas, which can scrub down the enamel of the teeth and actually reveal more of the yellow root of the tooth below the surface.
- Some people want the whitening toothpaste to work, so they brush their teeth too hard. This can also damage the enamel of the teeth and can inflame the gums.
- Not all toothpaste brands are regulated by the FDA, and some companies take advantage of people’s desire for whiter teeth and produce substandard toothpaste products. These products may not even clean your teeth effective as well as fail to whiten your teeth.
More Effective Teeth Whitening Options
Rather than take chances with different kinds of whitening toothpaste and spending time and money on the different brands, there are more effective teeth whitening options our dentist can offer you. A few of the popular teeth whitening options offered at our dental office are:
- Fitted whitening trays – Superior to over-the-counter whitening trays, our fitted teeth whitening trays are formed to your teeth so they can be whitened evenly. Also, our dentist can access whitening formula which is stronger than the ones available over-the-counter.
- Laser teeth whitening – Using whitening gel and dental lasers, see your teeth whiter faster within a 15-20 minute treatment session.
- Veneer application – Porcelain veneers can cover discolored teeth as well as correct other cosmetic dental issues. The color of the veneers can be made to match your preferred tooth color.
If you are ready for whiter teeth to cap off a perfect smile, then contact us today for a consultation with our dentist.