Many people take their teeth for granted, not understanding how amazing they really are. Here at Taylor General & Cosmetic Dentistry, we wanted to celebrate teeth and tell you about 10 impressive facts about teeth.
1. Tooth Enamel Is The Hardest Substance In Your Body
It may be hard to believe your tooth enamel is the hardest substance in your body, but it is the truth. Unlike your bones, which are encased protectively in your body, your teeth are constantly exposed and used at least three times a day to help you ingest food.
Remember, while your dental enamel is tough, don’t use your teeth to open things! That is a fast way to end up with a chipped tooth and a visit to Dr. Taylor to repair it.
2. Your Dominant Side Will Dictate Where You Chew
Whether you are right-handed or left-handed, your body is more prone to have you chew on your dominant side. This tendency can lead to more wear on one side of your teeth than the other, so try to be conscious of your eating habits.
3. Soda Consumption Can Predict Your Tooth Decay
Those people who drink three or more glasses of soda a day can develop 62% more tooth decay than someone who does not indulge in soda. Most of this decay can be ascribed to the high amount of sugar in soda, but diet soda drinkers aren’t exempt.
The acidic nature of all types of soda can abraid the enamel of your teeth. So, put the soda down and choose to drink more water to protect your teeth from avoidable decay.
4. Brushing Only Reaches 60% Of Available Tooth Surfaces
Only two-thirds of your teeth are visible above the gumline. Out of this area, a regular toothbrush can only reach 60% of your teeth. You need to floss to adequately clean the other 40% of your teeth’s surfaces.
5. Your Teeth Are Unique As Your Fingerprint
Every one of your teeth is unique to you, much like your fingerprints. In fact, people have been known to be identified purely by their dental records when there has been no other way to recognize them.
6. Dental Plaque Is Made Up Of Hundreds Of Bacteria
The human mouth has a huge variety of bacteria. Some types of bacteria are good, helping you break down foods and performing a certain amount of cleaning. However, when it comes to the harmful bacteria, there are more than 300 types of bacteria that make up dental plaque.
7. Sir Isaac Newton Has The Most Valuable Teeth
Not all teeth are considered equal. When a tooth from the famous physicist Sir Isaac Newton became available in 1816, it sold for $3,633 ($35,700 in today’s pricing) and was set into a ring.
While your teeth may never be sold for thousands of dollars, you can develop your own million-dollar smile by having a smile makeover with Dr. Taylor.
8. A Lifetime Of Teeth Brushing Equals Days Of Effort
When you are tired, brushing your teeth can feel like it takes forever. But in reality, the average American will only spend about 39 days over a lifetime brushing their teeth.
Many people skimp on their brushing, giving their teeth only a cursory once-over. You should be spending between 2-3 minutes brushing your teeth. If you have struggled to gauge how long you should brush, you can set a timer.
9. Teeth Form In The Womb
Infants may be born with adorable gummy smiles, but human teeth begin their formation while in the womb. Pregnant mothers need to be careful, as certain medications can permanently harm their unborn child’s teeth and leave them discolored.
10. Your Teeth Can Tell A Story About You
By looking at your teeth, someone with a trained eye can tell a lot about you, from your age to where you have lived. Teeth also carry insights into our overall health, marking times of high stress, poor nutrition, and other medical issues that can affect your teeth.
Take control of the story your teeth tell and contact us to set up an appointment with our dentist to receive the best care in Billings, Montana.