As parents look for the best care for their children’s teeth, a pediatric dentist is one of the options available. Taylor General & Cosmetic Dentistry serves dental patients of all ages, including children, so the whole family can have their dental needs taken care of together.
What Is A Pediatric Dentist
A pediatric dentist is a dentist who specializes in performing dental work on patients under the age of 18. They have two extra years of specialized training to be able to work more efficiently with infants, young children, teenagers, and children with special needs.
At our dental office, Dr. Taylor has extensive experience in working with children of all ages and abilities. From his past participation in the Give Kids a Smile program to performing all the dental work on his own children, Dr. Taylor is able to make children comfortable with the dental work which needs to be done.
Who Should Visit A Pediatric Dentist
As a pediatric dentist works with children, it seems fairly straightforward that children should see a pediatric dentist. However, most children would be fine with seeing a general dentist. There are some children with special circumstances which may especially benefit from a pediatric dentist. Some of these circumstances are:
- Sensory sensitivities – Some children with special needs can struggle with sensory sensitivities which cause dental work difficult to perform. A pediatric dentist should have specialized training to help soothe children with sensory sensitivities.
- Previously had traumatic experience – Some dentists do not differentiate between the care they provide to adults or children. This can be hard on children as going to the dentist can be an intimidating experience and leave children traumatized. Dr. Taylor takes the time to explain to adolescent patients what will be happening during their appointment, which helps alleviate some of their concerns. Also, like with pediatric dentists, Dr. Taylor takes extra time with his young patients to ensure they are comfortable with the dental work being performed.
- Advanced dental needs – If the child has special dental needs, such as impacted teeth, advanced tooth decay or other dental issues, the specialized work can be confidently entrusted to a pediatric dentist.
- Child dental emergency – The rambunctious and inquisitive nature of children can cause them to have accidents which damage their teeth. A pediatric dentist can be defter and experienced in dealing with these kinds of dental emergencies.
Choosing Between A Pediatric Dentist And General Dentist
Parents have to make many choices when it comes to their children’s health care and choosing between a pediatric or general dentist is one of them. While not all regions have access to a pediatric dentist, if your area does, you may need to consider which type of dentist you will take your children to see.
Pediatric Dentist VS General Dentist
- A general dentist has 8 years of advanced schooling, while a pediatric dentist has the standard 8 years plus two extra years of specialized training.
- There is often a cost difference between seeing a pediatric dentist and a general dentist, with the general dentist often costing less per visit than a pediatric dentist.
- Pediatric dentists will only be able to treat patients from infancy up to adulthood. General dentists can treat patients from infancy up throughout the patient’s lifetime.
As you can see, there are not many differences between the two different types of dentists which you need to consider before making your choice.
Dental Treatments Offered By Pediatric Dentists
When looking at the services offered by pediatric dentists, you may notice dental services which are particularly aimed at caring for younger dental clients. While pediatric dentists are not the only ones who offer these services, they are more likely to emphasize them as their focused clients are children.
- Effects of childhood habits – Children as young as infants can develop habits which can have lifelong effects on their oral health. Pediatric dentists can advise on matters such as bottle-feeding, pacifiers, thumb-sucking, and more.
- Oral health exams for infants – While infants do not have teeth to examine, their gums should be checked by a dentist, so any potential infection is caught early. Also, early interactions with a dentist can help children become less intimidated by future visits.
- Early orthodontic treatment – As permanent teeth emerge, a pediatric dentist can perform treatments which will help the teeth grow in a more aligned fashion.
- Disease diagnosis and management – There are many diseases which can be seen early on thanks to a proactive dentist. Some of these diseases are ulcers, diabetes, asthma, congenital heart defect, periodontal disease, short frenulum, and more.
- Youth dental preventative care – Along with performing dental cleaning, pediatric dentists can provide diet recommendations and nutritional counseling.
Again, pediatric dentists are not the only dentists which offer these dental services. However, they do more commonly offer and perform these services.
Work With A Quality Dentist For Your Children’s Dental Care
Finding the right dentist to provide your children’s dental care can be difficult, as many children struggle with seeing the dentist. Here at Taylor General & Cosmetic Dentistry, children are put at ease and all our staff take great care of our youngest patients as well as the adult dental patients.
If you want your children to experience high-quality dental care in Billings, Montana, then contact us for an appointment.